Fennel’s Journal

by Adam on 6, January, 2013

Fennels Journal

A little while before Christmas, Assembly Towers had an electronic letter drop onto our virtual door mat, it was a short note from a Mr Nigel ‘Fennel’ Hudson, introducing himself and asking if perhaps I may be interested in bringing his Journal to the attention of the Ladies and Gentlemen from the Assembly?

Interest piqued, the latest copy of “Fennel’s Journal” was popped in the post for our attention. It has got to be said when the publication was received the look and feel of the item brought a smile to our face with little quality touches like a personalised message and an embossed inside front page.

It is however the quality of the writing that makes the journal, Mr Hudson has a wonderful turn of phrase and the sort of self deprecation we Guvnor riders are all too familiar with. The style of writing is probably best equated to the literally equivalent of the Guv’nor, modern but a style and feel firmly rooted in the best of the 1930′s.

The 7th edition of the Journal covers a number of different topics, from the purchase of a hat when he was a teenager to travelling two hundred miles for a pint of beer. I think however the article that will strike a chord with you good fellows is the search for a new bike that ultimately leads to the purchase of a Pashley Guv’nor from our friends at the Traditional Cycle Shop.

Mr Hudson has been good enough to make the article available for download from his site: The Guv’nor, my I be so bold as to suggest that you download the piece and in Mr. Hudson’s words you “Stop – Unplug – Escape – Enjoy”?

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

fossil January 6, 2013 at 10:54 pm

A splendid write , he even saved a whole £100 for the bicycle

Rick B January 8, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Great article, thanks for posting. Funny thing is I work in a bike shop that specializes in those high tech wiz bang carbon fibre bicycles. We brought in a shipment of Pashley bicycles to offer to our more traditional customers. When the Guvnor left the builder’s bench and came up on to the sales floor my reaction was much the same as Mr Fennel. That was over three years ago, as they say “the rest is history”.

Adam January 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm

My pleasure, much the same as myself. I had no intention of getting a Guv, I didn’t even know they existed before going into the shop. Cunningly they had it mounted about six feet up on a plinth, it stood out a little bit amongst knobbly tired chunky machines and carbon hyper bikes.

Fennel January 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thanks gents for the lovely comments about the Journal. I hope to see you ‘on the road’ soon!

Thomas Rosenkranz-Turlon June 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I really would love to have a blink on Mr. Fennel´s article concerning the Guv´nor. Sadly the link to the PDF does not work anymore!
Is there another possibility for a download?

Best regards, Thomas from Germany

Adam June 5, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Evening Sir,
Here is an online copy of the article

Regards,
Adam

Thomas June 5, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Ah, thank you very much!
Really a nice article. I will read some more from Mr. Fennel in soon!

Good evening, Thomas