Woody’s Fenders

by Adam on 16, January, 2012

Mr McF has been kind enough to provide a little write up and information about the Wood’s Fenders he has recently added to his Guvnor:

Adam asked if I would write up my new Woody’s Fenders fenders, or mudguards in the Queen’s English!  A pleasure.

Keen/obsessive Forum followers will have seen my clarion call for a group purchase of fenders, sorry mudguards, from Woody’s Fenders in Oregon, USA.  Once I stopped drooling at the offerings on Woody’s Custom Cycling Fenders I composed myself enough to prepare an order that Frosty kindly decided to join.   I must say that Cody the owner is super helpful and made up for me a custom fender at no extra charge and then threw in an extra fender for free!  We opted for the ‘Chopped Chort’ which is an 18” fender approx 1 7/8”wide (you can get different widths) which attaches neatly to the cross member on the seat stays on the rather tight grub screw which lurks on your Guv for just such an occasion. Fitting took me less than 2 mins so in the hands of experts it will be a matter of seconds.

I ordered two and have attached the Zebrawood edged in Wenge wood and I have to say it looks to my mind splendid with super figuring on the Zebrawood and occasioned a few complimentary remarks during the Tweed Run.  Quality is very good and the fenders are very well varnished.  Fittings will not rust.  A dazzling array of woods and patterns are available. Cody will do custom orders at the drop of a hat as well.

So for £30 all in I have a unique short rear mudguard I am fairly sure it makes me go faster as well!

The hair-shirted curmudgeon of a utilitarian (surely none to be found in the august gathering?) will at this point pipe up and ask: “Ah, but does the mudguard actually work?”

Anticipating this dull query and seeking to be of service to the GA, after the inevitable dry spell that follows any investment in mudguards I took myself off on the Guv to Wimbledon Common and ploughed into the nearest puddle… with the result that my back was while, er, not spotless, I did attract only a small spattering of inky black mud.  Still, the mudguard looks the cat’s pyjamas and brings a little glamour into an otherwise dull world at times.

You can get a Woody’s Fenders mudguards from Cycle Sense in Tadcaster (edited to move to the correct town), please see a post on the relevant thread on the forum from a v helpful chap at Cyclesense.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

EmGeeCeCe January 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Marvelous write up chaps…. damn fine wood you have there gentlemen

MGcC

Adam January 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

All Mr McF’s fair work, and a jolly good job he has done too.
I must say the mud-guards do really sit well on the Guvnor, and of course the inevitable smutty innuendos will always go down well.

Dave January 16, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi

Thanks for the mention but.. we are in Tadcaster not Harrogate.

Harrogate is famous for its water… Tadcaster is famous for its BEER and Cyclesense.

Sam Smiths fits very well with the Guvnor ethos…it’s traditional and incredibly good value.

Adam January 16, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Evening,
Please accept our apologise for re-locating you shop without prior agreement. It is now back in the correct town.

Mr McF is based in that London, as a consequence everywhere north of Watford is a little foreign.

Alex McF January 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

Good morning all,
Apols re Taddy/Harrogate mix-up. While I am (south) London born and bred, I do boast Yorkshire and north-eastern parentage. Plus Mrs McF hails from York. All this does is make my mistake more egregious!
Quite agree re Sam Smiths. Beer over water any day.
I see Sam Smiths still use slate squares (fermenting vessels), for the bulk of their beers, have a cooper making and repairing its wooden barrels and a team of dray horses. Plus the prices in their pubs are very reasonable, including the London ones! All of this would mean nothing if the beers were no good but mercifully they are excellent to my mind.

Alex McF

Alex McF January 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Adam,
Please beware any smutty innuendo as this could cause offence among our antipodean (former) brethren…

EmGeeCeCe January 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

… I always thought that was the point ??? 😉

Cody Davis (Woody's) January 28, 2012 at 3:35 am

Thanks for the back and forth banter. I love it.